The Mule Ties team continues to work with other fashion designers and trending shops. We're glad to introduce to our customers, viewers and readers, London's hottest men's grooming shop, Mancave London! They're modern, classy, sleek and stylish! Let's hear a little bit about their background.
How did you guys get started?
Menswear designer, Gemma Fraser founded the brand in early 2015. With a passion for menswear and brands with a unique visual identity from around the world; Mancave London was born. Built for the contemporary gent, for those that admire sartorial style, supporting the eager designers of tomorrow, and dressing to impress; Mancave London continuously collates the very best products from all corners of the globe. Bringing the modern day gentleman unique, beautifully crafted products and menswear suitable for both work, and play.
Mancave London has quite the exquisite style. Where do you get your fashion inspiration?
We get our inspiration from our gentleman, dapper gentleman - whether that be through street style, travelling to different cities, Instagram, or people watching whilst having coffee down a cobbled street in Shoreditch, London. Style is all around us and it just depends how you interpret peoples individual take on a trend.
What are the top 5 wardrobe staples every man should have?
Top 5 is hard - however, if we had to pick (In no particular order)
- A blue slim fitting Blazer is the backbone for any Gents wardrobe –whether you need a preppy, modern or traditional look the blue blazer is your man.
- Good socks - socks can really make or break an outfit - especially with the ‘rolled up trouser’ / ankle grazer slack look that is in at the moment. You could be wearing the most dapper 3-piece suit and flash a pair of terrible socks and the look is ruined. Our Alfredo Gonzales little numbers are the ideal choice http://www.mancaveldn.com/#!socks/c1f88
- A grey three-piece suit – preferably in a windowpane check to up the sartorial stakes.
- A good white shirt is key to any man’s wardrobe. A strong, stand up collar is your first checkpoint followed by a slim fit. Slim enough in the body to avoid the look of ‘shirt fat’, but not so tight you look like Popeye (let’s be honest that try hard look isn’t attractive). Box pleats in the back are preferable to add a little ventilation (no one likes sweat patches). Basic principle for cloth is cotton (it let’s you breathe), in a strong 120g either poplin or an Oxford weave – we personally like a bit of texture you get from the Oxford.
- A classic watch in a timeless style with leather strap is the staple arm candy for any gentleman. See Mancave London’s selection http://www.mancaveldn.com/#!watches/co68
What are your top 3 hottest products?
- Stuart & Lau Cary Briefcase – Blue / Tan – Brought to Mancave London all the way from New York, the Stuart and Lau Cary briefcase is the ultimate accessory for any gentleman’s daily attire. Designed to provide a streamlined experience for your every day, the Cary briefcase includes features that address the real needs of a day spent in motion – whether it be their built in umbrella holder, newspaper slip for your daily commute, luggage tag pen that is perfect for your travel card or the fact that it’s actually waterproof to protect your daily essentials rain or shine, this guy is a must have. http://www.mancaveldn.com/#!product-page/c6np/ab5ccb65-328a-ab41-69d5-e6a3c9275835
- Il Bussetto Portfolio – Hand stained, crafted from the finest Italian leather, using traditional methods, Il Bussetto creates the most stylish portfolios we have ever encountered. Available in two sizes and 4 colours, the sleeve is perfect for your laptop/Ipad, as a travel document holder or to hold your daily documents. Versatile and unique, this guy will only get better over time. http://www.mancaveldn.com/#!wallets/eb0mf
- Hunter Lab Skin Care Products – A man’s face is his biggest asset. The moneymaker, the first touch point, in every meeting, in every power play and first impressions last. Now men with ambition, motivation and a modern approach to clean and healthy living have learnt what women have long known; that taking care of their skin will ensure they look dapper for longer. Mancave London has brought Hunter Lab all the way from Australia, where they have perfected the tools to keep a man’s skin tip top, in the city or exploring. http://www.mancaveldn.com/#!skincare/s4mhs
How to dress casual but still looking sharp?
It’s all about the layers and making sure whatever you’re wearing fits well. Jeans and a tee are perfectly fine – but make sure they flatter your body shape. Throw on a suede bomber and some leather Chelsea boots and you’re away.
What is the most common fashion mistake guys make?
An ill-fitting suit is just the worst fashion mistake committed by some men. Just because you are wearing a suit jacket, trousers and some kind of shirt, does not by any means mean you look sharp. If there is one New Years resolution you keep this year – get your self a proper fitting suit. Every one who matters in your life will thank you for it.
What's the latest fashion trend you hate?
Man-buns; done badly. Man buns, done well are perfectly acceptable. Meticulously grown hair, matched with a well-groomed beard on a well established man is A-OK. A little stump of hair on top of the head of a baby faced jaeger-bomb enthusiast however is not.
Visualizing the fashion world 20 years from now, how does it look like to you?
In recent years we have seen a considerable increase in the number of gentleman that are taking more pride in their appearance. Inspiration of how to dress is subtly placed in men’s hands, through endless imagery on social media. Individual, online ,creative brands are more accessible to those used to just the high street. On the whole, shopping and dressing for men aren’t so much a chore anymore, but more a pleasure that they take great pride in. That being said, you would think that the percentage of well-dressed men would have increased in 20 years time? 2025 for us will be more about the roots of a brand; where they came from, how they’re made, what they stand for. Uniqueness will be a positive and following the crowd will be more of an after thought.